Benefits of Triphala : Corrects Constipation, Cleanses Digestive Tract, Cleanses Colon, Detoxifies Body, Treats Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Ulcerative Colitis
Triphala is a matchless herbal formulation that has been a gift of ayurveda to this world. Triphala since centuries has been an herb of choice for an ayurvedic physician to cure any kind of disease. Since ages it has been a house hold name in Indian civilianization as it is the most easily available herbal supplement that has the potential to treat any kind of disorder especially related to the gastro intestinal tract.
Benefits of Triphala herb in detail
(A) Digestive System
• Acidity – Triphala has been found very effective in treating acidity, hyperacidity or acid reflux. Due to its powerful neutralizing action it aids in the normal production of gastric acid that does not harm the stomach lining and does not cause acidity.
• Loss of appetite – Triphala is a herbal formulation that is very effective in normalizing the digestion that is helpful in maintaining the normal amount of hunger desires in the body. It helps in promoting the decreased appetite.
• Abdominal pain – Triphala is very effective in releasing the spasm that is the pain reason for occurrence of pain in the abdomen.
• Constipation – Triphala possess certain properties that makes it a mild laxative thereby it is extremely beneficial in treating the constipation.
• Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) – it is a common diseases world wide that makes a person very irritated due to infrequency of the bowel. Triphala is considered the best remedy in treating such types of abnormalities.
• Digestive disturbances – Triphala is one of the potent herbal formulations that helps in regularizing the digestive tract and also helps in maintaining the normal peristaltic movements.
• Liver problems – Triphala is very helpful in treating all kinds of liver disorders and also promotes the secretion of liver that helps in aiding the proper digestion.
(B) Cardiovascular system –
• High blood pressure or hypertension – Triphala is known for its spasm releasing properties. In case of high blood pressure there is a kind of spasm in the arteries that restricts the blood flow. Triphala is helpful in releasing this spasm facilitating the easy flow of blood through them.
• High cholesterol – Triphala is very helpful in reducing the cholesterol levels in the body. It does not let the bad cholesterol i.e. LDL, low density lipo protein to propagate in the body and promotes the production of good cholesterol i.e. HDL, high density lipo protein in the body.
• Atherosclerosis – it is a condition in which that is accumulation of plaque the in arteries in which the blood is supplied to the various parts of the body.
• Fluctuating heart rate – there are various reasons by which there is tachycardia and bradycardia. Triphala has known properties by which it is very supportive in maintaining the normal rythymicity of the heart. It also tones up the heart muscles and various ligaments that are helpful in regularizing the heart rate to normal.
• Anemia – Triphala is now been established to help in production of red blood cells that get depleted in case of anemia.
(C) Respiratory system
• Respiratory infection - Triphala is an herb that is known for increasing the immunity of the body. Triphala acts as a powerful security checker and does not let any foreign particle to invade in the body and if by chance it gets into body, it strongly acts on it to eradicate that particle thereby protecting our body with its harmful after effects.
• Cough and cold – as mentioned earlier also that Triphala is very supportive in curbing any kind of infection in the body thereby it is helpful in withholding the conditions like cough and cold as it is also helpful in countering allergies.
• Accumulated mucus in the lungs and chest – as described earlier that Triphala has mucolytic properties thereby it is very helpful in expelling out the extra amount of mucus that some how gets accumulated in the chest and forms the grounds of infection.
(D) Nervous system
• Brain enhancer – Triphala is supposed to increase the mental ability as well as improves the concentration levels in the brain. It does not let the non required chemicals to get secreted in the brain thereby preventing the production of negative thoughts and does not let depression to interfere in your life.
• Nervine weakness – Triphala also stimulates our nervous system to make it perform to the optimized levels. It is also very helpful in protecting our body from diabetic neuropathy also.
• Eye tonic – Triphala is considered as one of the most powerful eye tonic and helps in curing any kind of eye related problem. Triphala is very beneficial for eyes and helps in increasing the vision. Triphala is very helpful in treating the deformed vision due to various diseases like diabetes etc.
• Head ache – Triphala is highly recommended in the chronic as well as acute headaches. Triphala is also helpful in treating severe types of head aches and even migraine.
• Fatigue – Triphala is a boon for people who have this kind of problem. Triphala energizes the body. It eradicates all the lactic acid formed in the body which is the main cause of the fatigue in the body.
(E) Urinary system
• Urinary tract infection – as mentioned earlier also Triphala is very helpful in curbing any kind of infection that is affecting the urinary tract hence it is extremely helpful treating any kind of urinary tract infection (UTI).
• Dysurea – Dysurea is a condition in which the urination is painful. Triphala is helpful in maintaining the normalcy in urination eases the urine flow out side the body.
• Renal stones – well good prognosis has been seen in this regards but some other herbs like pashanbhed etc are also employed to treat the cause.
(F) Reproductive system
• Male reproductive system – Triphala is extremely beneficial in treating the various diseases of male reproductive system. It is helpful in increasing the energies of the body and also augments the endurance. It helps in increases the sperm count and enhances the quality of the sperms. There for it is considered as a good aphrodisiac agent.
• Female reproductive system – Triphala is extremely beneficial in treating female reproductive tract abnormalities. Diseases like dysmenorrhea, amenorrhea, irregular menses, leucorrhea, vaginal dryness, excess bleeding etc are some of the common problems that have been successfully treated by normal use of Triphala.
(G) General body
• Anti-oxidant – Triphala is one of the powerful antioxidant. Its reference has been found in various ayurvedic texts. Triphala has a unique properties by which it is has the affinity to scavenges free radicals. It is very helpful in retarding the early aging process to make you young for ever. It also fills your body with new energies and enthusiasm that will make you and your body happy.
• Diabetes – Triphala is very beneficial in treating diabetes. First of all it stimulates the beta cells of islet of langerhans present in pancreas to release the proper amount of insulin, a hormone that is required to regulate the blood sugar levels. As per the ayurvedic concept as Triphala is bitter in taste it scavenges on the glucose particles that float in the blood stream.
• Skin – Triphala is considered as one of the best skin tonic. It not only makes a healthy skin but is also helpful in treating the various skin related ailments. It is very beneficial in reducing the itching over the skin disease. It prevents appearance of early ageing sign i.e. wrinkles on the skin and is also very helpful in reducing the dark circles.
• Immunity – Triphala is extremely beneficial in increasing the immunity in the body and also helps in fighting any kind of infection that occurs in the body. It is helpful in production of various anti-bodies, T helper cells and lymphocytes that are helpful in fighting against any foreign invasion on our body.
• Obesity – Triphala shows wonderful results in treating obesity. It regularizes the digestive system so that proper absorption takes place in the body. More over it directly targets the fats in the body to reduce them.
• Cancer – recent researches have proven that Triphala is highly effective in treating the cancer. These tests were conducted on mice. It does not let the abnormal division of the cells making them to perform normally. More researches are taking place to prove their effect on humans but it for sure that it has anti cancerous properties that make it a herb for future.
• Inflammation – Triphala is highly effective is reducing any kind of edematous growth internally as well as externally in the body and also is helpful in reducing inflammation.
• Colon cleanser – “Triphala is the best Colon cleanser in the world”. This is the opinion of a survey that was being conducted world wide. It is a powerful herbal combination of three most potent herbs that are extremely beneficial in eradicating any kind of toxins. It tones up the intestines and our colons and makes absorption of nutrients easy.
Side Effects of Triphala
• Triphala if taken as prescribed is very beneficial for the body and helps in curing many diseases, providing immunity to the body. However, if an individual starts consuming very high dosage of this herbal mixture, adverse effects are likely to be seen. Consuming a high dosage of the herb can increase the frequency of bowel movement in a person and chances are that he/she might suffer from continuous diarrhea.
• A relatively high dosage of triphala can also lead to the formation of gas in the stomach or the intestinal regions. This gas gets formed mainly because of the abrupt change in the rate of cleansing and purification of the body, which disturbs the overall balance of the body.
• Triphala can also lead to dehydration in a person. The diarrhea caused due to the over dosage of triphala makes a person lose a lot of water, thereby leading to the problem of dehydration. This is mainly because of the abrupt increase in the cleansing process of the body, which results in losing more water than usual, causing dryness and weakness in a person.
• Pregnant women are advised to stop the intake of triphala during the gestation period. The hormones in a pregnant woman are already in a havoc state. The intake of a strong herb like triphala, in such a situation, just adds on to the discomfort of the woman, leading to dysentery attacks.
• Triphala is a very strong and warm herb, which can also lead to conditions of insomnia in a person. An over dosage of the herb can lead to feeling of heaviness and uneasiness in a person, making the person stay awake the whole night.
• High dosage of the particular herb can also lead to damaging effects on the colon muscles. Over dosage of the herb puts pressure on the colon muscles and can even loosen and damage the muscles.
More information -------
The ancient treatise of ayurveda prescribes as a dosage not exceeding 3-5gms of triphala, when taken in the powder form. Modern day recommendations too, ask to begin with 1 capsule or say ¼ th of a teaspoon of triphala, boiled in water in the form of herbal tea, and then increase the dosage gradually. Even then the upper limit for the intake of triphala is a maximum of 5-6 capsules per day. This way the body adapts to the working ways of triphala, learning to make the most out of triphala benefits gradually and doesn't undergo any drastic changes. Ideally taken half an hour before going to bed,as nothing can be eaten for another 1 hour 30 minutes after triphala is consumed, a difference of at least two hours between dinner and the medicinal herb intake should also be maintained. Ayurvedic doctors also mention that it is better to take a break from triphala ingestion, every ten weeks for about a couple of weeks and then go back to taking it again. This way, not only does the body get a chance to be off any laxative for sometime, but a person doesn't start to get dependent on triphala psychologically.
If these dosages are adhered to, then it can be safely said that triphala has absolutely no uncalled for fallouts at all. However, in case an individual starts with a very high dosage of this herbal mixture, it will result in an increased frequency of bowel movement with the passage of stool with low consistency. In simple words, a person shall experience diarrhea or loose motions in lay man's terms. Also, one may experience the formation of gas in the the stomach or more precisely in the intestinal regions, given the abrupt change in the rate of cleansing and purification of the body, when a high dose of triphala is suddenly initiated.
Women who are expecting are advised to halt the ingestion of triphala during the gestation period due to similar reasons. As the hormones already wrack havoc during pregnancy, the intake of triphala would only add to discomfort with possible dysentery attacks.
Other than this, triphala is safe to the extent that even kids over the age threshold of three can have it. It doesn't interfere with the healing course of any other allopathic medicines to create further complications. Since triphala is not addictive, a person never really gets dependent on it, even to its laxative properties, and can withdraw from it at any given point of his life.
Modern day scientists have specially devised triphala tablets, as the powder is bitter and leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Triphala ranks very high in the chart of herbal remedies, as it is not only good for the gastric system of the body but also a herbal nutrition supplement. One of the top medicines considered for herbal remedies for arthritis and herbal remedies for blood pressure, it is safe enough to be used for cleansing and washing eyes and applied on the skin for obtaining a smooth, perfect texture. Ongoing researches on herbs for cancer have tapped some harnessing effects of triphala on the growth and spread of cancer cells. In fact, a research report published by the Radiation and Cancer Biology Laboratory at Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India, in 2005 vouched for the fact that triphala does wonders when it comes to reducing tumorous growths in animals. The "Journal of Experimental and Clinical Cancer Research" piece also illustrated the capacity of triphala to increase the antioxdant generation in the body.
So, you see triphala has a lot to give and almost nothing to take away. Even though there are no massive triphala side effects, I would still ask you to consult a certified ayurvedic expert before starting the consumption of triphala, as the human body is a peculiar instrument, which defies its own behavior patterns in a greater frequency than the human brain.